If you have a lot of avocados at the same time, you can make them last and keep them fresh.
- Keep your avocados at room temperature to ripen.
- To slow the ripening process, keep them in the fridge, removing 1 or 2 as needed.
- To speed the ripening process, place in a paper bag with an apple or banana. These 2 fruits release ethylene as they ripen, which also helps to ripen the avocados. Ripened avocados may also be refrigerated and will hold their firmness for several days.
- To freeze, mash the ripened green flesh with a little lime or lemon juice. This can be thawed later for use in guacamole or similar recipes.
- Worst-case scenario: your worm farm will absolutely love them as will thrushes and other small birds.
If you have other tips that can be shared, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org